Pages

Thursday, February 01, 2024

We Resist Waiting, But It May be God's Plan for Us



I recently posted this article on a desire to find life purpose (knowing how to invest myself) and balance once again. I ended the article by pointing out that life is full of ongoing change, and u
ltimately, leading a purposeful life revolves around maintaining hope in God.

God will lead us where he wants us next, in due time. That means, instead of striving to find that next thing, we can focus on what is in front of us while listening to his still small voice.

I admit, at the time I wrote that article, I was in a mood where I didn't feel I was doing enough. Christmas had passed. The calendar had turned. I felt overcome by the darkness of winter. But no matter what I might try, I could not bring on spring or a fabulous new revelation. I'd have to wait. 

In moments of processing feelings like this, it's easy to mistake anxious thoughts for reality. There are so many online articles, guru posts, and books that lead us to believe we should constantly be busy, that we should get out of our comfort zone, and that we need to fix ourselves. But we need to be mindful that some feelings are merely passing mental constructs. We don't always have to be attempting to improve ourselves!



Rest, Restoration, and Hibernation

What if God has called us to a season of rest and restoration?

Back in September while seeking God's leading, I was given a plan. He said to be a REBEL - to rest, recover, restore, and just be (for a season). I had embraced the term "semi-retired" to ease into a more relaxed life phase. But God didn't tell me how long to stay in this relaxed phase and I was getting fidgety.

Breakdown of what 'Be a Rebel' means.


I joked at times that I was hibernating since it's winter right now. When humans refer to themselves as "hibernating", they typically mean taking a break and preferring to engage in less strenuous or demanding activities for a certain period. The goal is to take time for rest, recuperation, and reflection.

This is true for many who live in a four-season climate. I work hard physically during spring, summer, and fall, caring for my yard and gardens. By November, I'm ready for downtime.

Many women take January to re-evaluate life and make plans for going forward. And there is nothing wrong with temporarily slowing down and taking a break from the usual hustle and bustle.


Where Does Restlessness Fit In?

But we are a people of forward movement. So it makes sense that with the turn of the calendar, I would go into evaluation mode.

Our pastor asked us to spend January fasting and praying. I decided on a spiritual practice of praying in the sauna at my massage therapist's spa once weekly for 30 minutes. With the first session, I became very aware of my inability to sit still to concentrate. I constantly had to redirect my focus back to the present. This revelation was glaring. I asked: Could this be how I am in everyday life? Always distracted? Years ago, my mother-in-law had said, "You never sit still". Perhaps she knew more about me than I knew about myself.

It was a good lesson to learn!

Back to the Restless Moods of Women

Feeling restless and determined to take action can sometimes lead to positive results. At other times, it can cause negative feelings such as self-loathing, depression, and overthinking.

The feeling of chronic restlessness might be based on the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) on our best life which is fear-based which is never good.

The website Got Questions: Your Questions. Biblical Answers says this about restlessness:

"Restlessness has been a part of human experience since civilization began. Part of God’s curse on Cain for murdering his brother Abel was this: “You will be a restless wanderer on the earth” (Genesis 4:12). Cain would never find rest and peace in any one place."

"The psalmist describes his restlessness like this: “Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me?” (Psalm 42:11)"



And so, in my restlessness, I scoured the Internet for new activities I could get involved in. In so doing, I met many blockages and also had a check in my spirit about one involvement. Then both my husband and I began having car troubles--the batteries in each vehicle were dying every couple of days. One event required we call a tow truck in -25 C weather.

The decision was made--until we had our batteries replaced, I would stay home except to go for walks. I was forced back into my comfort zone.

And that is sometimes how God works allowing external circumstances to hem us in.

I decided my time of hibernation is not over. And that's okay. Being okay with where we are is actually a cure for restlessness.

One of the most memorable statements in Scripture on this theme is when the Apostle Paul said,“I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation“ (Philippians 4:12).


No comments: