Pages

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Life is Not Easy, Finding Life Purpose and Balance is Just as Complex in These Times






The pandemic taught us many things. A few things I've learned include:

  • The pandemic was/is not easily solvable.

  • People are divided and sometimes nasty.

  • The pandemic was/is bigger than us which proved, yet again, why we need to rely on God who is also bigger than us. 
We are in a post-pandemic era now in 2024, and many of us are having to rebuild our relationships and some, our careers. The world changed and is not finished shifting. Just today I heard of another shop closing due to low in-person customer traffic. 

Many of us are ordering online and thus in-person shopping has taken a hit.  That affects minimum wage part-time jobs for young people and business owners are struggling.

My Semi-Retirement

I decided to call myself semi-retired when I lost writing motivation during the pandemic. A paid writing job I had fizzled out and writers on the team were told the project had been stopped. I'd been writing furniture descriptions for a store, and I suspect they were finding sales a challenge. Other small businesses that used to buy my articles through content supplier Constant-Content faced challenges too resulting in fewer article sales (at least from my inventory). 

Churches in my city and elsewhere have amalgamated since church attendance and financial giving has dropped. Many individuals have reexamined their faith and are moving away from organized religious practices. 

My Social Network

As I've sought to restart my social network, I've hit a lot of brick walls. Covid is still an issue in various parts of the world and I'm now in the higher risk age and health range so I'm careful even now but am getting out more.

My husband has been working from home since 2020. It's been challenging to be around each other so much, but in other ways, it's been helpful to have him home. 

My craving to be part of in-person events, even if I wore a mask, came to a head in April 2022. My husband and I joined a twelve-week in-person diabetes workshop with real live people! It was perfect timing for us before we went completely mad. But I didn't make any new long-term connections there. I still need to build a social life. 

I've recently looked for other in-person events to attend locally and found many organizations are still doing their events online. 

PEOPLE ARE ISOLATED AND LONELY. 
(Do I speak for myself?)

Does any of the above describe where you're at? 





I embraced the semi-retired label to alleviate the disappointment and guilt associated with the absence of article sales or daily work commitments. It allowed me to grant myself permission to ease off the constant pursuit of goals.

But, while I find myself at the age when many people retire, the void has become noticeable, particularly with the onset of winter. Now, my focus is not just on rediscovering life purpose but, more importantly, on achieving a harmonious life balance.






Life Balance and Life Purpose

At times, it is difficult to find life balance. Are you in that spot?

Life purpose and life balance are interconnected aspects of overall well-being, and finding harmony between the two can lead to a more fulfilling and sustainable life (or so the experts say). And that's important because Jesus came to give us life more abundant. We are his hands and feet, so it makes sense we find the right balance so we can live out our purpose with sustained dedication.

Life purpose often extends beyond career or personal achievements. It encompasses our relationships, health, personal growth, spiritual growth, and contributions to the community.




I can tell you from experience you will never find one big purpose in life that never changes. And, your social groups will change. Life is full of starts, excitement, pauses, lulls, seasons, joy, grief, and transitions.

Ultimately, leading a purposeful life revolves around maintaining a sense of hope. Hope that God will lead you where he wants you in ways that fill the voids in your life in due time.

So instead of looking for a role or title, look for the hand of God and renew your hope in the everyday events of life.

Clinging to the belief that God has a specific plan for your life, as assured by Jeremiah 29:11 in the Bible, will help you navigate both the challenging days of uncertainty and, subsequently, the demanding days when a specific task, challenge, or opportunity is set before you. Stay addicted to hope in God! Be patient in the waiting room.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jer 29:00 (NIV).




No comments: