Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Body Image - Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) - Making My Weight an Idol

As I've been creating a new blog and sometimes using old photos I had stored in Blogger, I was able to collect a bunch of hairstyles I've had over the last 15 yrs or so. Tell me which one you like best. 

At the time of each of these, since around age 40, I had body dysmorphic disorder due to feeling I was disappointingly overweight. I felt ugly. But I've joined the Health At Every Size (HAES) movement which has significantly helped me come to terms with a new outlook. I look back at these and see how hard on myself I've been. 


Do you go through these types of feelings too? You want to offer yourself grace, but you hate the mirror? And don't even get me started on 'selfies'. The camera is so close for those, I hate every one I have tried. I declare I am not photogenic! (keep scrolling)...



  


   



But I know God would say, "You are beautifully made, my child. Each wrinkle, every change in your appearance tells a story of your life—of the experiences that have shaped you and the love you've shared." 

I know God sees my heart, my kindness, my efforts, and my faithfulness which I hope shine far brighter than my outward appearance. I know I need to give myself grace; I know my worth isn’t defined by a mirror or a photograph. But it is so hard, isn't it?





    

   



It’s natural to struggle with feelings about our appearance, especially as we age, but remember beauty is not solely about looks; it encompasses who we are inside. And at each life stage our worth remains constant.





   


Core Principles of HAES

The Health At Every Size (HAES) movement rejects the traditional focus on weight as the primary measure of health. 

1. Health is Multi-Dimensional: Health encompasses physical, mental, and social well-being, rather than just the absence of disease or the number on a scale.

2. Respect for All Sizes: The movement acknowledges that bodies come in all shapes and sizes and that there is no “ideal” body type. We all have our own challenges. 


      

  

3. Focus on Behaviors: HAES promotes engaging in healthy behaviors (like regular physical activity and balanced eating) without the pressure of weight loss. 

4. Intuitive Eating: The movement encourages individuals to listen to their bodies’ hunger and fullness cues, promoting a more natural relationship with food. 





   



5. Challenging Weight Stigma: HAES seeks to combat weight discrimination and stigma, promoting the idea that everyone deserves respect and dignity, regardless of their body size.

6. Self-Compassion and Acceptance: The movement encourages individuals to practice self-compassion and work towards body acceptance, recognizing that self-worth is not tied to appearance.





Now, my problem is: I'm a senior, and my looks are giving way to age. My eyes are getting dull, jowels are increasing, circles under my eyes are darker. I'm still hard on myself. It takes a lot to overcome. I still don't like my reflection in windows or mirrors. I try not to be in any photos. 






I am not there yet! But I have HAES to
 help me re-evaluate my perspective.

My Goals While Adopting the Principles of HAES


I want to be less judgmental of others and myself.
I want to feel better in my body.
I will focus on health over weight.
I will not diet. 
I will priortize well-being and self-care that includes rest.
I will cultivate a positive relationship with food.
I will keep moving for exercise.
I will stop making my weight an idol!

I want to quit being discouraged by how I think I look. 
I want to support others who have similar issues. 






Resources and Organizations

Several organizations and resources promote HAES, including:

  • The Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH): This organization provides resources, education, and support for individuals and professionals interested in HAES.
  • Books and Authors: There are various books and authors who have contributed to the HAES movement, such as Linda Bacon, the author of Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight.


No comments: